Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Umbridge's Decision (MAJOR spoiler of the 6th HP book)

At the end of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, by J.K. Rowling, Albus Dumbledore, a great mentor to Harry, dies. He was a very respected and talented wizard and, for the most part, a very well liked person. The only people who didn't like him all too much were the Ministry of Magic, because he seemed to oppose them a lot. However, at Dumbledore's funeral many members of the Ministry show up to give him a last farewell. Among these various wizards and witches is Dolores Umbridge, a Ministry person who made it very clear in the last book that she did not like Dumbledore at all, and thought he was insane.

So why would she come to his funeral? Did the ministry force her to so she could "repent" or something? Maybe it's because she actually cares about Dumbledore now that he's dead. I'd like to think that that's her reason. Now that he's dead, she cares about what he did and she sees that he may have been a good headmaster. Even though she does turn out to be an evil person, she has t have some compassion somewhere deep in her probably very dark soul, and maybe that's why she came to the funeral.

This got me thinking about how people rarely realize how good they have it until they don't have it that well anymore. It gets me thinking about childhood, and how kids always want to grow up, but once they do they wish they were young again. People really take things for granted, with childhood, being able to live pretty much stress free and not realizing how great that is, and with Umbridge, having Dumbledore run things in a very efficient way and be a very talented wizard. Now that he's gone, she might miss him a bit.

In conclusion, I think that even if I don't know Umbridge's exact reasons for going, I'd like to think that maybe she was remorseful of how she had thought of him in life and now does miss him now that he's dead.

What did you take for granted that you wish you hadn't?
Have you ever realized something when it was "too late"?

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree, Sophie. It's sort of like how things that are happening right now will one day be memories, and possibly, regretful memories. So how we act today we could look back on in a few years or so and wish that you had done something else. It sort of makes me think about choices too, like when you make what you think is the right choice could end up being a very wrong choice. I believe that you should really consider the choices and then if you accidentally choose the wrong choice you're going to have to do the best that you can to fix it in the future and just hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with you that a lot of people take things for granted.i think they don't realize how good they have it because they have never had a rough time in life so they don't know how hard it is with out it. i actually wanted to grow up when i was younger because i wanted more responsibility but now that i have more of it i don't want it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie I totally agree with you people do take stuff for granted. I also like how you used the examPle on how when we were children we couldn't wait to grow up but now we want to be children again. I also have lost many things and friends because I didnt know what I had until I lost it, a great post on reflecting it to your self and the world

    ReplyDelete