This was interesting to me because throughout my life, my friends sometimes change. I've been close friends with someone one year and then the next year I'll barely talk to them. The cause behind this, I usually find, is that our interests aren't as similar as they once were. Even though Ron, Harry, and Hermione have different interests, Hermione's very focused on schoolwork and the liberation of House-Elves, Harry's focused immensely on defeating Voldemort, and Ron focuses on Quidditch and other things, they remain friends all throughout their years at school, and, the reader can only assume, for their whole lives.
My theory on why they don't grow apart is that they have been through many dangerous situations together, and trust each other a lot. An example of this is that in the first book, Ron and Harry weren't friends with Hermione, and thought she was an annoying know-it-all. However, after they fought the troll, it's said that "But from that moment on, Hermione Granger became their friend. There are some things you can’t share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them…" Even though Ron and Hermione and Harry weren't all friends before this, they become closer when they go through a life-threatening situation together.
Another I believe they all remain friends is that they're all in Gryffindor, and therefore all possess the trait of bravery. They're also very selfless people, and they make sacrifices for each other multiple times. Harry, in the first book, saves Hermione and goes on to fight Voldemort on his own, Ron, both in the first and seventh books, tries to save Hermione, and Hermione risks expulsion, which she considers worse than death, many times for Ron and Harry.
All in all, the friendship of Harry, Ron, and Hermione is incredibly enduring, both because of the sacrifices they make for each other, and because of the life threatening situations they are in together.
Who is someone you've had an extremely long friendship with? Why do you think it was able to be that long?
Who is someone you would give your life for?
I really liked this post Sophie!
ReplyDeleteI've always admired Ron, Hermione, and Harry's relationship because they're all such good friends. I totally agree; my friends have changed a lot throughout the years, and it's really impressive that those three have stayed/stay (i'm going to go with have stayed because i refuse to talk about this book in any way relating to past tense or if it is not currently happening) friends for such a long time. I think it was because they are just meant to be together. As I've been growing up and evolving out of different friendships, sometimes I think, "Wow, I can't believe we were such good friends!" or things like that. Some people are just meant to be friends.
:)
Hi Sophie!
ReplyDeleteI just finished the 7th one (again) and I agree with you. When you and someone else help each other out of a near death situation, you trust each other and become friends. They have almost died together countless times, and this is what brings them together. I am good friends with people who have different interests than me, and I think that as long as you have something in common, you can be friends easily. Ron, Harry, and Hermione all want to end Voldemort's reign over the wizarding world, which is what keeps them together.
Great post! ;)
Hey Sophie! This is so good. I agree with Venice and Jadyn. Over the years, my friendships have evolved, grown, and, ended. I'm always looking for that one friendship that will last a really long time. I really look up to Ron, Hermione, and Harry's friendship because throughout all those hard times, they were still friends. I think that if you can get through difficult times with friends, the friendships grow stronger, and then later, you can laugh about those times. :D
ReplyDeleteHi! Really good job! I always considered the idea of being friends with two people for the rest of your natural born life (and possibly a life beyond that), as unlikely. It was a sweet idea, and it would definutely have to be part of the happy ending-but it wouldn't happen in real life! Or at least..probably not. Good questions, and I'm not sure how to answer them, but they did make me think. Harry, Ron, and Hermoine all risk their lives for each other without hesitation countless times. I think I would be able to do it, but there would almost for sure be a pause before I decided. It really makes you step back and admire how generous they were! I loved your response Sophie! (Adding in a smiley face cause everybody else did..) :) <3 :)<3 :)
ReplyDeletehi Sophie,
ReplyDeleteGreat response! I'd never really thought about it when I was reading Harry Potter, but it seems very unlikely that a friendship like that would endure for so long. I think that the troll incident might've had something to do with it... traumatizing events can create strange circumstances. But otherwise, yes, i think it's weird that their friendship would last that long. Most friendships evolve and change, becoming stronger and weaker over time– maybe there are a few best friends that don't change much. I know that I have two good friendships and neither of them have changed since I was 3. But even those, I notice, are slowly wearing away. All friendships transform over time, no matter what pace the process is going at. Awesome!
-Adrian