In "Love & Death" by Max Wallace and Ian Halperin, the investigation book into the death of Kurt Cobain, member of the band Nirvana, in the beginning of the book, it talks about how Cobain feels stuck in his small town, and can't wait to get out. For him, music is his way out. In his hometown, he's depressed.
I can relate with Cobain all too well. Sometimes even though I live in New York City, one of the biggest, busiest cities in the world, I feel like I'm stuck doing nothing that's worth anything. Cobain feels like he's wasting time staying in his hometown, and can't wait to get out. I feel like being in school everyday and living the life that everyone does, and not doing anything especially important will leave me forgotten in the long run. I know that I'm only 13, and only in eighth grade, but I feel like I want to take a risk with my life, and get out of my "hometown", so to speak. Cobain took a risk, and he ended up being famous.
However, Cobain may have ended up killing himself. (The circumstances of his death are fuzzy and a bit suspicious). If that is the case, then obviously he wasn't happy. Maybe even when we do take risks and get out into the world we're not content. Maybe no one is ever truly content, because there's always something more you could've done to not be forgotten. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though Cobain did make it out of his hometown, and took risks, and ended up famous, essentially everything he wanted, he still wasn't happy. Maybe no one is ever truly happy.
Sophie i love how you can relate to the story, I can also relate the feeling of not being able to wait to get out into the world to take risks and have fun. Also i also have an idea that many people may not want to take risks and stay with there education
ReplyDeleteSophie, i think that everyone is happy at some point in their life whether they are fully happy or only a little. I do believe that there is always a downside to something thats going on in your life, but something must always make you feel a little happy inside. I also like how much you relate to this character and i think that you should think more deeply into what might have made Cobain feel so unhappy at times. What was the reason for him killing himself? I would like to know :) Great response!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Sophie!
ReplyDeletei totally agree with you. A lot of times i think, why am i worring about this test so much and making myself so worked up about this when really, i need to let it go. One perfect score on my test, honestly won't make me happy for the rest of my life. i think that once you have reached your goal in life you should be proud but how many people actually do? how many people actually get to where they wanted to be? this makes me think about how living life where worring about things that don't matter isn't right. what's the point in life if you just want to be the perfect kid with the perfect scores, and not try to take risks or try new things?
love your ideas, nice post! :)
Damn sophie! That is some deep stuff. But I agree, if you need to "do something" to make you happy, then you obviously weren't happy in the first place and will never be able to be truly happy, at least not on your own. But I do believe that it is possible to feel pure happiness. And I do believe that at some point in everyone's lives, even if you can't remember it because you were a child, we have felt truly happy. But if you think about it.. what is happiness?
ReplyDeleteHey Soph!
ReplyDeleteSo I think that you can be happy only if you get where you want to be in life. or example, if all someone wants is friends, a loving family, and a roof over their heads and they have that, they will be happy. But if you set your goals and expectations too high, you may never reach them and never be truly happy. Also, I get what you mean about wanting to get out of Brooklyn, go places. I feel lucky that I live here, but sometimes i want to go somewhere else- the countryside, the west coast, or around the world.
Great post!